There was a period in the 1930ies when The Grove was locked up, the Jagoe family who had established it as a guest house in the early 1900's had moved on…. one member of the family to become Chaplain to the King of England and later still to become Bishop of Bermuda and finally, in retirement, Rector of his beloved Schull….. during the lock up period Willie Morrow walked beside his bicycle every day, to and from The Grove where he was caretaker, to his little one roomed cottage in Corthna; long after Willie went to be with his creator the cottage was put on the market and was famously described in an English paper as “a leprecaun’s loo” .
The Symmes family moved in sometime in the early days of the 1940's and reopened as a guest house which they operated with a certain style… they had trained in different branches of the British army during WW2, … until the 1980's. There was croquet on the lawn, and tennis and afternoon tea could be had with the lady of the house, the petite Mrs Copinger Symmes, if the weather was suited, in a sheltered, secluded spot amongst the shrubbery, otherwise in a cloud of Craven A cigarette smoke in the ‘drawing room.
And Oh! if you happened to be the owner of a car it was housed, beside their Adler, in a large garage that was tucked away inside those lovely front gates. Wonder where did they end up….also that guest list?
The whole place had style and still does today!!
BER: E1 BER No.108557919 Energy Performance Indicator:334.65 kWh/m²/yr